6 Things Nobody Tells You About Working at Disney World

16:58 0 Comments A+ a-

#5. The Costumes Are Hell 

The regular cast member costumes are bad enough -- wool and heavy polyester in a super-hot and humid climate gets disgusting fast. They're heavy, they cover your whole body, and they absorb every last drop of the sweat pouring out of every inch of you, so they stink. It's a hot mess. Wearing a full-body costume will also make you go through a total body change :After a few weeks in costume, your sweat started to run clear. Salt just stopped coming out of your  pores. You have to change your diet -- you can't eat burgers and fries all the time or you'll pass out.  
Meanwhile, the Panic costume needs to be closed by someone else and ends up mashing your face against a metal screen that heats up instantly. Really, any time you can't get into your costume by yourself, you know you're in trouble. I remember struggling through a parade in July when the heat index was well over 100, and I was in one of those horrible costumes that I had been practically sewn into. Well, before the halfway point I was just trying not to pass out, stumbling along, not going over to interact with the kids along the route. When I finally got to the end, I had tunnel vision and was screaming for someone to get me out. When I had finally been unzipped, I shot out of that costume like I'd been squeezed from a birth canal, and I just laid there on the pavement, shivering and dry heaving until the entire parade had finished.
And before  going any further: Yes, it's all worth it.
You'd be amazed at how happy just showing up as Mickey makes people. It's like being a rock star, with all the photos and autographs and adoration. You really do get to create a kind of magic for people -- the day I die, I will remember what it was like to look out through Mickey's eyes. It sounds corny, but it's true. So try to keep that in mind while I talk about how ...
Continue !